Friday, October 21, 2011

Steve Jobs and the Digital Hub



We've been posting clips from various Steve Jobs keynotes, and here is one that had a profound effect on your humble narrator. It is from the January 2001 Macworld keynote, and it is my most memorable keynote - mainly because it solidified my decision to open The DV Shop.

In this clip, Jobs talks about his vision of the Digital Hub. It was in this keynote that Apple introduced the Titanium Powerbook, but more importantly to me, iDVD. Seeing the simplicity of iDVD, how it could let anyone make professional looking DVDs at low cost and was insanely easy to do to boot, convinced me to go ahead with the idea that had been percolating in my head for two years - a store dedicated to helping people make movies. So shortly after watching this keynote, I was convinced I was on the right track, and decided to jump off the cliff into the great unknown. We opened The DV Shop 4 months later.