Friday, April 13, 2018

NAB 2018: Up, Up and Away!



DV Dude has been meaning to take the helicopter ride that goes up and down the Las Vegas Strip for quite some time, and this year I decided to scratch that off the old bucket list. Booked a flight on Mavericks and  away we went. The pilot played AC/DC's Thunderstruck as we took off.  Then Ride of the Valkyries.



They take you up the strip, get really close to the Stratosphere, go over old downtown, turn around (pictured above), and head back along the strip and back to the airport. In all, about 12 minutes.


I'm not happy with the photos I got, as it was very bouncy due to high winds, and you are crammed in a helicopter that is very hard to take good pictures in. And I just stopped trying to take photos because I just wanted to look at spectacle that was beneath me. Shooting tip - increase your shutter speed to 1/1000 due to helicopter shake/bounce.

As a fellow passenger remarked once we got back on the ground, "That was beautiful." And it was. Photos can't really capture it. Highly recommended.